Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The first round

I started--very gingerly--to talk to people that I've known. A lawyer I've interviewed, a recruiter, someone in advertising. They all thought it was funny--the 50 year old intern--but then said that it wasn't a bad idea.

The lawyer I know set up an afternoon of interviews. I didn't really want to go to a law firm--I had worked at one for several years early on--but thought I would go because I was, after all, so much wiser. The offices were nice--great views, location--and the lawyers, of all ages, uniformly smart, interesting and personable. Still, I was neither sure that I wanted to be there and I could tell they weren't so sure of this whole thing.

And while I was sitting in a conference room, my thoughts wandered to my 16 year old, with his freshly minted (or is it printed) license, who had taken the car to school for the first time. Would he get home? Would he do all that homework in those ridiculously demanding junior year classes? Maybe I wasn't ready for this.

I was relieved, quite honestly, when the office manager said there was no space for me til January. It let me off the hook for awhile. And maybe I could come to terms with the slight case of depression I felt at working at a firm again

No comments: